Mackerel Tabby Cat Colors
There are four different types of tabby coat patterns, the classic, the spotted, the ticked and the mackerel which we will take a look at today. Each of these patterns come in a great variety of different dilutions & colors.
Mackerel Tabby Cat
Perhaps what most people think of when they think of tabbies, this pattern has characteristic vertical stripes that run parallel up & down the cats sides. The kind of look like they are wearing pinstripe suits.
Each different tabby pattern has its own specific characteristics, however some physical elements are native to all tabby patterns.
- Chin is light colored fur
- Roots of whiskers are dark
- Dark colored M on the forehead between the eyes
- Dark line running from outer corner of eye towards cheek
- Eyelid skin is dark & surrounded by light colored fur, creating a dramatic eyeliner effect
- Dark along back of hind legs and tip of tail
- Darkest color in pattern on bottom of feet & between toes
Mackerel Tabby Colors