Classic Tabby Cat Colors
There are four different types of tabby coats (who knew?), the Mackerel, the spotted, the ticked and the classic, which we will be looking at today. Each of these patterns come in a wide variety of colors and dilutions.
Classic Tabby Cat
The classic pattern has bold, dark lines, swirls and bullseye patterns. Their sides are highly decorated and they generally have thick, dark lines running down the middle of their back.
Although there are different types, there are several characteristics common to all tabbies.
- Eyelid skin is dark & surrounded by light colored fur, creating a dramatic eyeliner effect
- Chin is light colored fur
- Roots of whiskers are dark
- Dark line running from outer corner of eye towards cheek
- Dark colored M on the forehead between the eyes
- Darkest color in pattern on bottom of feet & between toes
- Dark along back of hind legs and tip of tail
Classic Tabby Colors
Which is Your Favorite?
There is plenty more tabby to come, stay tuned to take a closer look at the 3 remaining types. Until then, why not go check out the solid cat colors?